Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pedal With A Purpose - 62 Mile Bike Ride

Pedal With A Purpose
Alpharetta, Georgia

Signed up to ride in the Cancer fundraiser bike ride held in Alpharetta, Georgia two weekends ago. Funds from the ride went to support Cancer research and to help the Georgia Cancer Society continue to do their wonderful work. They have helped so many people over the years and I especially feel a connection and a need to contribute to the cause. My mother, Patricia Lein, has been battling Cancer for more than 5 years. This year, she has finally been declared Cancer Free! Thanks be to God!

Let me tell you how the ride went. We were supposed to get started by 7:15 am, but, like all things, we were delayed a bit and didn't roll out until almost 7:25 am. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, however, the high temperatures for race day were predicted to be in excess of 95 degrees. Well, true to his word, the Channel 2 weatherman, Glenn Burns, got it right. As the ride wore on temperatures indeed climbed well into the 90's. That didn't bother me too much for the first 30 miles. I did fine, right up until the course took us over some mini mountains down Conns Creek Road. Ouch! Those hills were really tough in the heat. I continued to pound the pedals until mile marker 40, where I proceeded to have my first leg cramps. Folks, if you've never had your leg lock up, while clipped into a bike pedal, it's quite an experience. Your leg is cramped and you need to unclip your foot, but, your leg isn't cooperating. I pulled over to the side of the road and immediately ate 2 Hammer Gels and took a packet of electrolyte pills. I drank a good bit of liquid to wash it down and off I went again.

I wish I could say that those cramps were the only one's I had to endure that day. They weren't :-). I cramped up for the next 20 miles. Can't tell you how many gel packs I ate, or how many electrolyte tablets I swallowed, but, the heat just kept bringing them back. The last 10 miles of the ride were like something out of a Stephen King novel. To make matters worse, I had stopped to refuel at the 50 mile aid station. I was out of fluids completely and in bad need of some food. While I was tanking up, up rolls a news truck. Out jumps Pam Martin of Channel 2 news. She heads straight over to me and wants to mic me up. Normally I would really enjoy that opportunity. Guess what she wanted to talk about? Yeap! She wanted to know what I thought about the heat. Are you kidding me! At that point in the ride it was written all over my face and dripping down the legs of my riding shorts. All I could think of to say was "It's Hot," Really, Really Hot." Maybe I should have elaborated a bit, since I noticed she didn't use the footage :-).  

Long story short, I finished the ride. There was no way I was pulling over and stopping. I kept thinking about the battle my Mom had been fighting and she never gave up. Then I would think of others I have known who also fought Cancer. What bravery and grace those folks have shown! God bless them and thanks be to God for their healings! My hat is off to all the riders who participated and also to Thomas Dimitroff, General Manager of the Atlanta Falcons. Thomas participated, and in fact lost his father to Cancer. He rode the century ride and gave a very nice and stirring speech to kick off the ride. Thanks Mr. Dimitroff, you are a class act Sir!

Here are a couple more photos from the ride.

    

My firm, Flyline Search Marketing believes strongly in giving back to our community. If you have an important cause you feel we can help with, please send us an email to info@flylinesearchmarketing.com and we will see if we can assist.

Flyline Search Marketing - Social Media Sites


No comments: